This week has been insane for me – hundreds of assignments due and no time at all to read anything that’s not a textbook or a journal article. I still have two due on Friday but I couldn’t help myself but take some time out to do a top ten Tuesday post.
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.
Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers over at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join.
This week’s topic is: Top Ten Kick-Ass Heroines.
I love a strong female character – either physically or mentally empowered.
1. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
– I loved how she never gave up and never stopped trying to help Harry no matter how much danger she was in or how much she was hurting. She was incredibly strong and smart and I’m sure she’ll be on many top ten lists for this week. Plus – when she punched Malfoy in the face? That was kind of fantastic..
2. Beatrice (Tris) Prior from the Divergent series by Veronica Roth
– She was Dauntless. Enough said.
3. Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
– I love Katniss from the books. I thought she was scared by despite that tried as hard as she could to do what she thought was right.
4. Rosemarie (Rose) Hathaway from Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
–I am currently reading the VA series and I adore Rose. She’s a teenage vampire slayer who I’d hate to meet in a dark alley… or even a well lit one. Rose is fierce.
5. Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
– It takes some guts to stand up for what you want when society is all telling you to adhere to what they believe is right. Every time I read this book I end up grinning at Elizabeth’s antics and her strength of character.
6. Cinder from the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
– A Cinderella who doesn’t rely on a fairy godmother or her prince to come and fix everything for her. Cinder is fantastic and strong in her own way. I can’t wait to read the next book in this series.
7. Josephine (Jo) March from Little Women by L.M. Alcott
– She may get her foot in her mouth at times and say some fairly inappropriate things but despite it all, Jo is always looking out for everyone she love and her heart is in the right place. She’s all kinds of awesome.
8. Ellie Linton from the Tomorrow Series by John Marsden
– She has firepower and she’s not afraid to use it. If a war breaks out tomorrow, I’d want Ellie and the rest on my side.
9. Susannah (Suze) Simon from the Mediator series by Meg Cabot
– It’s not secret that this is one of my all time favourite paranormal YA series (and that it appears in my top ten most weeks…). Part of that reason is because of Suze. She has attitude and she’s not the type to up with with garbage from anyone – alive or dead. I love her for that.
10. Wanderer from the Host by Stephenie Meyer
– Whilst I’m not a fan of the Twilight series, I really enjoyed the Host. Wanderer is an incredibly strong heroine because she goes against everything she’s ever known, survives the elements and does her best to protect a family that she wasn’t even born into. She’s fantastic and brave.